YouTube Tuesday: 80s Rule, Part 7

No compilation of 80s videos would be complete without a contribution from Prince. Tonight's selection is "1999."

It's easy to get caught up in the persona, the outfits, the girls, and the total over-the-topness of Prince and lose sight of the fact that he is an extremely talented and influential musician and songwriter. In a way he was too good for the 80s, but in another of course he was absolutely perfect for them.

Some readers may remember when 1999 seemed like a long time in the future.

"I was dreamin' when I wrote this
So sue me if I go too fast
But life is just a party

And parties weren't meant to last
War is all around us

My mind says prepare to fight
So if I gotta die

I'm gonna listen to my body tonight
Yeah, they say two thousand zero zero party over

Oops out of time
So tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999"

No comments: