YouTube Tuesday: Sabotage

Sometimes, it just has to be the Beastie Boys. They've been around a long time in a crushingly competitive, relentlessly forward-moving genre where acts come and go like fireflies.

They've done that by maintaining a unique sound while not coming off as inflexible. Their videos are far above the hip hop standard for creativity, and they can still write and still rhyme.

"Sabotage" takes 70s cop shows (particularly Starsky and Hutch, I get the feeling) as its inspiration. It's fun, ridiculously exaggerated, yet somehow reverent to that style at the time.

"I can't stand it I know you planned it
But I'm gonna set it straight, this Watergate
I can't stand rocking when I'm in here
Because your crystal ball ain't so crystal clear
So while you sit back and wonder why
I got this fucking thorn in my side
Oh my, it's a mirage
I'm tellin' y'all it's a sabotage"


No comments: