Social media is too damn . . .

 . . . social!

I recently joined Twitter . . . to promote this blog a little, mainly.  I also figured out that by following the sports teams I like I can get scores and news items without having to dig around for them.

I also followed some posters on other topics I'm interested in, namely BDSM and Spirituality.  And therein lies the trouble.

There is a process, of course . . . one follows a bunch of people, then gradually figures out which feeds to stop following and which ones to stay with.

So far, most of the BDSM feeds I follow are those of ProDommes . . . they seem to be mostly what's out there to follow, but I'm new at this so perhaps My feed-searching skills are not what they should be yet.  As for content most of these feeds are not that interesting to Me, but sometimes they are humorous or an interesting picture is posted.  Most of the ProDommes on Twitter that I follow really should avoid political/social pronouncements if they want to be thought of as intelligent, but I could say that about most people, regardless of what they do for a living.

The Spirituality feeds, thus far, are more troubling.  I get that the idea of social media, at least to some extent, is that anyone can say anything about anything.  And I get that in the realm of spirituality, almost anything goes, since most see it as an area where there is no presumed "truth."  In other words, most people won't venture uninformed statements about . . . molecular biology, or auto repair, let's say, but feel very comfortable saying anything and everything in the realm of spirituality.

And the problem is not necessarily that this multitude of spiritual tweets is "wrong."  The problem lies in the fact that in most cases they are too generically correct.  Here's a recent example of the kind of tweet I'm talking about:

Don't be afraid. You are already everything.

Now, this is certainly true, or arguably so, on several different levels.  But it's so non-specific as to be . . . valueless, to Me, anyway.  It's the spiritual equivalent of saying that "the entire universe is composed of energy," which in a sense is true, but is so broad as to not shed any light on the nature of anything in the universe.

For Me, spiritual analysis (and it can be analyzed) must be specific, focused.  I like Mom and Apple Pie as much as the next Girl but they don't get Me very far in terms of being enlightening.

A big part of the problem lies in a medium itself.  It's hard to say much profound in 140 characters, especially if one can't shake the grammar bug.

Is spirituality on Twitter a lost cause, then?  I don't know . . . way too early to tell.  

My girl lissa suggested, and I imagine she is 100% correct, that it takes time to find the right feeds to follow, and in turn to attract the right followers.  So there's that to look forward to.

In the meantime, however . . . have to whore it up!  Follow Me ( @Enchanted_Palms ) and I'll follow you!  Promise!

No comments: