YouTube Tuesday: 80s Rule, Part 5

I hadn't intended another 80s video tonight, but stumbled upon this gem . . . "Word Up" by Cameo, from 1986.

Pure dancability and hilarity. The prominent red codpiece is just, well . . . words fail Me. LaVar Burton (!) pitches in as the detective. The hyper-nasally voice, the ridiculous lyrics, the butt-shaking groove, and the pure 80s milieu make "Word Up" a big winner.

"Now all you sucker D.J.’s
Who think you’re fly
There’s got to be a reason
And we know the reason why.
And act real cool
But you got to realise
That you’re acting like fools.
If there’s music we can use it
We need to dance.
We don’t have that time
For psychological romance
No romance
No romance
No romance for me mama
Come on baby tell me what’s the word.
Ah – word up,
Everybody say when you hear the call
You got to get it underway."


2 comments:

Tom Allen said...

Funny - a couple of months ago I was obsessing on this song, mainly 'cos I heard/saw the new cover by Korn. The music is really very good, but the video is so completely different that it messes with your head when you remember the original.

rb said...

I am rebuilding my Wife Worship blog and have linked to yours. I ask kindly that you consider linking to mine at www.wifeworshipper.blogspot.com

thanks
rb