YouTube Tuesday: Back In The Day

Still in the hip-hop vein, tonight's clip is "Mistadobalina" by Del The Funky Homosapien.

This video dates from the time when hip hop still had "the shock of the new" going for it. Before it was about your Escalades or your hos or how many gazillion dollars your last record/tour made. When it sounded, looked, and felt fresh and new.

"Mistadobalina" is (very) loosely based on "Zilch," an a capella experiment by, of all people, the Monkees.

"take a little tip from the tabloid
because I know I'm not paranoid
when I say I saw ya tryin' to mock me
now you and your crew are on a mission tryin' to hawk me
but it isn't happenin' ya fraudulent foes
you used to front big time now I suppose
that everything's cool since the style of apparel you adopted
you used to make fun of but now you wanna rock it
so you gotta kick it with the homies"


No comments: