The Love Thing, Part 3

Her wrote:

"It's like...

Wanting to do all the things my wicked heart desires, but when I reach that moment of possibility I back down. Too afraid, too unsure of myself, too unsure of the reality of the situation.

I abhor this kind of feeling. I've lost control of my own control and it bugs the crap out of me. I'm a born domme, of that I have no question, but I do question my ability to take what I want and turn it into reality.

And I really fucking wish pet would keep his own anxiety to himself sometimes. As soon as his fears come out, I back down. When you love someone, the last thing you want to do is hurt them without consent. When he's asking to be hurt, then instantly balking when the opportunity arises, it leaves a big frustrated and confused knot in me. I can't deal with my own lack of self-acceptance and his at the same time. But I don't want him to stop talking to me--communication is so important.

Maybe I can deal with both, but dude, it is harder than I thought. Amazing after two years of this it only gets harder. More real, I imagine."


This touches on a theme I've written abut a couple of times: The "love thing."

While I know that I need to feel love in order to Domme the way I want/need to, I'm the first to acknowledge that it can complicate things, sometimes greatly. Her's post above is an example.

How to address that complication? There's a short answer and a long one.

The short answer: Put the hammer down. It's as easy and as difficult as that. If he is like 99.9% of submissives, it's what he really wants, surface reluctance notwithstanding.

The long answer: The submissive is afraid of what s/he really wants, and is relying on the Other to put the hammer down and thus render moot the "decision" to move forward. But this is where the "love thing" comes into play. The Other not only puts the hammer down, but, when the time is right (after), S/He leads the submissive through the entire thought process, to make the submissive realize/confront which of his/her emotions were in play leading up the hammer being put down.

Now, much as that process might sound like punishment (and at times it can feel that way, for either, or both), I think it's important. The submissive needs to know and feel from the One to Whom s/he's entrusting so much that it's not all about just putting the hammer down, about play; s/he needs to understand that the Other has gone through a process, a process motivated by love and concern, to arrive at what His or Her course of action ended up being. Similarly, the Dom/me needs to be sure that what S/He thinks was going on in terms of the submissive's motivation(s) was accurate. Unfortunately, it's usually not possible to find out ahead of time accurately.

I sympathize with Her's dilemma. But while love does it make it more difficult, that's only in the short term. Long-term it helps ensure that things will work out, the (often numerous and painful) speed bumps along the way notwithstanding.

3 comments:

saratoga said...

Lenora-

ggrrr...I just left a comment and it got bounced....so this will be understandably more brief.

From your and my prior chats, you know I agree with you on this topic.

From my experience, I'll go even further, and suggest that love helps D/s go more smoothly.

Feeling love for my Mistress, and knowing she loves me, it's easier to let go of my fears or unsettled state, and just obey. To please her becomes easier, because I can trust her motives.

Thus, love can actually make submission much easier, even when I don't feel on top of things, or am ill at ease. As you have said before, I 'just want to submit,' so being pushed/prodded/led to obey helps me into the submissive groove.

-saratoga

collared_mark said...

Dear Lady,
i don't know if this right place to say this. Please, i beg you to see my blog.
Gratefully
Her_collared_slave

Anonymous said...

Lenora,
Based on my experience with my Princess, i have concluded that most women are not naturally dominant and/or are not attracted to dominating. She has been more into the role lately, but still wants to be 'nice' and not inflict discomfort on me. Call it discipline, punishment, rigor, or just the expectation that i serve Her, She has found it difficult to be the alpha and mete out what i may need/deserve.

i'm happy to report that She has grown in Her ability to do so; from what i've read elsewhere in many blogs, many couples give up with LFA/FLR because of the woman's discomfort with the role. Many women put their guy's happiness ahead of their own, and it's a big deal to ask them to change.

Her knight