YouTube Tuesday: Life Begins at the Hop; it ends . . . ?

Well, the inevitable happened. YouTube is to be acquired by Google for $1.65 billion. What this means for youtube is difficult to know right now, but from what I've read, Google intends to meet the copyright issue head on, by means of making deals with rights holders where it makes financial sense and aggressively keeping the other stuff off of the service. Meaning that you will most likely be paying in many cases for what's free now. Add to that the massive increase in advertising that is sure to happen and well, I'm not sure that the resulting youtube is going to be nearly as much fun as the one we currently enjoy.

I don't know what this means for youtube Tuesday (and I know you're all on pins and needles here) . . . I've no interest in "Google Video Tuesday" . . . we'll see what happens. As long as I can keep finding stuff that appeals to Me out there for free and with a minimum of hassle, I'll keep YTT going. If some upstart picks up youtube's mantle and keeps it fun and free with the same uninhibited attitude about copyright, perhaps YTT becomes presenations from whatever that new service is, if and when that happens.

But I do have to enjoy all this copyrighted stuff while I still can. So tonight, a video of one of My favorite songs ever -- "Life Begins At The Hop" by XTC. The video is cheesy and silly in a way that only a group of gifted but overly clever lads in the late 1970s could pull off. But the song is so uplifting and mood-brightening for Me I was thrilled to find the video out there and happy to post it here.

1 comment:

The Bastard said...

Always loved the song, never saw the video. Good stuff - and I'm glad you found it before it and the rest goes away...