Imponderables

I was asked in a comment, a while back, to talk about "method." I am pretty much always talking about method, or at least it feels like it.

One thing that I do with My girls (and others, at times) is use a lot of what I call "imponderables." Statements that on their face, seem self-contradictory, or nonsensical, or just, impossible. I toss these out there to them, in a pressure-free sort of way. The statement is given with the admonition that, for now, it should be nosensical; it doesn't have to mean anything. It's simply someting to think about now and again, in odd moments, with no pressure or expectation that "sense" will ever be made of it.

These statements are, of course, NOT nonsensical -- they are all 100% true. The idea is for the slave to gradually see the sense of the statement. I help the process along by pointing out situations that reinforce the truth of the statement when such occur. Thus there is a steady, if not necessarily predictable, course of learning.

This method, I've found, is just about the only way to teach the "imponderables." A direct frontal assault will almost always fail; the momentum of the statement often goes against what we've learned all our lives. My method is, if you will, a trick of sorts. A trick that works despite (or becasue of?) the fact that the "trickee" knows she's being tricked. And, as things proceed, there is a fair amount of straight-out explaining that goes on -- when situations arise that illustrate My point, that creates the opening for a more formal expansion on the idea. It's easier to talk about, and much easier to understand at that point.

And, aside from being the best way to teach these things, it turns out to be . . . fun! (For Me; the girls I think often just get a headache LOL). Seeing it unfold in them, feeling their knowledge expand, and their submission deepen as that happens . . . creates in Me a feeling I can only describe as a "full body smile." There is little better in life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Explaining abstract ideas can be difficult for those receiving the explanation. Can you please illuminate your abstracts by using extracts?

Anonymous said...

Would what you do be a mental version of those Dom(me)s who bind their slaves with ropes; the objective being to watch them and ecourage them to gain their own freedom through struggle and thought? As an educational tool, this system seems, on the face of it, to have much to commend it.

Lady Janon said...

Haha, I was just going to ask for an example of what you are talking about, but bear up there beat me to it.

I'm interested to hear more!