What's going on here?

Lately, I read a lot of blogs and the current entry is titled "Goodbye" or similar. It seems as though a lot of blogs are being killed off, and many others have been abandoned.

Since I only recently started blogging, it's harder for Me to undersatnd, I think. Two years from now, I might be in exactly that same spot . . . saying goodbye. Right now, I feel like there's so much to say. I suppose that in the early stages that's very common.

I know we all have our own reasons for starting, and blogging, and then for stopping. I personally hate to see any blog go away. The mass of personal experience and thought out there, should always be increasing -- even if everything isn't for everyone (and certainly no one could even try to read even a fraction of the blogs out there, or would want to), blogs really do represent a unique form of expression, one that can create greater understanding between people, one reader at a time.

I read today that it's estimated that there are 27,000 new blogs started every day. Even if that's high, and assuming that many of the started blogs will be quickly abandoned, or contain gibberish, or spam, that still leaves a lot of "real" blogs out there, growing the blogmass. Slowly, almost imperceptibly, increasing the understanding, creating new bridges between people.

That's a heartening thought.

4 comments:

CZ said...

So beautifully put Lenora. As to why it happens? I can only assume there are as many answers as there are people. My own recent "hiatus" was due, in large part, to suddenly realizing just how accessible my words made my personal life to complete strangers, each of whom had an opinion they were quite willing to share. Sometimes that's a bit much.

Having the freedom of speech does not also immediately bestow on its user the right to be discourteous, insensitive or (as Gabriel would say) boorish. Simple courtesy and respect for one's fellow man is in order in any atmosphere, even if it is in response to an electronic journal, wherein the author has freely offered their innermost feelings and thoughts.

Lenora said...

Thank you. And the phenomenon you cite is a big reason, I"m sure, for many . . . especially where one is writing about sexuality, D/s, and the like.

And while it is a shame that there are so msany insensitive jerks out there . . . what makes this terrible is the same thing that makes it wonderful. I do wish that simple courtesy and respect were contagious. Sadly, the opposite seems largely to be true.

Anonymous said...

Lenora, Please continue bridge building. Keep expounding and expanding the thoughts and feelings that make up your life. We learn from this, so, thank you!

Lady Janon said...

They do come and go, don't they?

Specifically, I see blogs that are non-pro Domme related come and go really quickly. Chaps my hide!

I do enjoy your blog, and I hope you are around for a good while.